We use Cumin (Jeera) for almost all indian food – curries, gravy, stuffed chapattis, rice mixes etc, but I never learned the power of cumin until one day, I read this article. I was looking for a cure for a hair growth & heat boils on my skin, and suddenly read that the little spice is filled with iron, vitamin E & C; and is an anti-carcinogenic, antibacterial & antioxidant agent because of other ingredients found in it. It also has properties that cool & clear the system.
Here’s how I have started using Cumin:
- Cumin Tea: Boil 4 cups of water with 2 TSP of Cumin seeds; Drink hot, warm or cool throughout the day.
- Cumin Infused water: Add 2 TSP of Cumin seeds in 1 Liter of water and let it soak overnight. As you drink up the water, you can refill the bottle for unto 2 days.
- Cumin infused Oil: Add 1 TSP of ground Cumin seeds in 2 TBSP of Coconut Oil & use on Hair, Face & Body for an Anti-bacterial rub & wash off after 20 min
- Cumin Pack: Add 1 TSP of ground Cumin seeds with water to apply on Wounds / Bruises & Cuts to speed the healing process
- Of course in Jeera Rice/Pulao, Jeera Daal, Jeera Powder, Jeera Lassi etc.
How many of us have walked into a parlor and slathered chemicals on our hair to make it Straight? or Smooth?
Here’s a cool DIY, natural cream to try. Yes it’s cheaper than the store bought versions & is natural!
What you need:
- 1 Cup thick coconut milk
- Juice from 1 Lemon (no seeds & strained please)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- Mix the cornstarch into the Lemon Juice without lumps
- Add the Olive Oil & Coconut Milk
- Heat on the stove & simmer until the texture is like store bought hair conditioner
- Store in a glass jar
Apply on the hair & cover with a hot towel, leave for 1-2 hours & then rinse off with shampoo
Henna’s protein & antibacterial properties make it a staple in many hair routines. The bright red color helps cover the grays (some of us need this!) & adds sheen to the hair. Henna, when used with water, makes the hair dry, however, since its combined with oil in this natural DIY recipe, it makes the hair smooth & shiny.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons Henna Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds
- 1 Cup Coconut or Olive Oil
- Mix Henna Powder & Fenugreek Seeds with 1 Cup Oil
- Microwave/Heat on the stove for 1 min
- Store in a Glass Jar (cover the Jar after the oil is completely cool)
Heat the Henna Oil for 10-20 seconds & apply the warm oil on the scalp. Wash off with shampoo after 30 min.
Try it & let me know how it works.
Note: Henna is very cooling for the body; we may likely catch a cold if the oil is left on the hair for more than 30 min.